What You Need To Know Before You Hire A Tutor
With all the competition, why should I choose WebWise Tutors? Why do you offer a resource center for parents?
Is it really important that my tutors are credentialed?
What else will a credentialed teacher offer?
So, is a teacher credential all you need to be hired?
How does online tutoring work?
What technology will I need?
What if I’m not technically savvy?
I’ve noticed most tutoring companies don’t offer video tutoring. Is that important?
I see that a lot of tutors offer 24/7 on-demand services. Do you?
What level students do you serve?
What other programs do you offer?
How will I know how my child is doing?
What are your hours of operation?
Do you really want me to shop around?
Is there anything else I should know about your company?
We’d like to believe you’ll choose WebWiseTutors because you’ve done your research. You’ve shopped around and kicked the tires, comparing our services with every tutoring company out there. It’s easy for a company to say they care about student learning and student achievement, but it’s another thing to back that up with the infrastructure necessary to produce the results you want.
If you’ve done your homework, you’ll find there are four unique advantages we offer, all of which we believe immediately separate us from our competitors:
- 1. We use only credentialed teachers as our tutors, and all tutors are also certified by us, thus aligning with the unique educational needs of each student. In addition, all our teachers are from the United States, so there is never a worry about a breakdown in communication.
- While many tutoring companies may use blackboard and live text chat, not all use audio, and only a fraction use video as well. Through our “Blackboard Collaborate System” we offer a unique blend of blackboard, audio and video technology that is arguably the most engaging and advanced tutoring platform in the industry. It’s easy. It’s fun. And, most importantly, it works.
- Each student is evaluated on a standardized assessment in terms of their strengths and weaknesses. Our “quality assurance team” continues to monitor and report the ongoing progress of each student until results are matched.
- Our commitment to the students growth doesn’t end when the tutoring session ends. We offer our students (and their parents) Customized Resource Centers, where we provide entertaining and educational information to make learning (and life) a little easier. Video. Blogs. Contests. How-To Guides. We’re your one-stop resource to success. You can check it out here.
The best teacher a child will ever have will always be their own parents. As part of our commitment to your child, we want to provide the entire family with the resources to succeed. After all, the family that grows together, succeeds together.
In a word. Yes. Sure, you could get a tutor who has only a college degree and save yourself 9 dollars an hour, or maybe more. And, there’s always a chance that this tutor might be exactly what you need. But, there is only one real way to guarantee that your son or daughter’s tutor is qualified and trustworthy, and it’s not by picking a needle out of a haystack. We believe you must begin with a credentialed teacher.
Here is why:
State credentialed teachers meet federal No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB) teacher guidelines for content mastery and professional teaching status under the Highly Qualified Teachers (HQT) legislation.
Teachers who meet the HQT designations demonstrate aptitude in the following areas: (1) possess a minimum of a bachelor’s degree, (2) have full state certification or licensure as a teacher, and (3) demonstrate content knowledge in the subject areas they teach.
Using credentialed teachers brings safety, confidence, and peace of mind for your child’s protection. All WebWise Tutors go through a department of justice background check upon hire, and their teaching credentials are checked annually with each issuing state department of education to ensure that their license is unencumbered or pending professional action.
As state credentialed teachers, not only are our tutors familiar with common core standards, state adopted curriculum, and local school district materials, but they understand how to design and individualize learning solutions to support student needs and develop competency and confidence.
No. In fact, our WebWise tutors undergo a rigorous screening and assessment process before they are invited to a certification/training workshop that they must pass before working with students. Following the required certification workshop, all tutors are mentored and supported by master tutors, and all tutor performance is reviewed in an ongoing capacity for quality control and consistency. Annual performance evaluations are conducted as an additional layer of quality control and recognition.
WebWise Tutors uses an industry leading technology with Blackboard Collaborate as our online classroom. Blackboard Collaborate allows us to conduct live, in-person video tutoring sessions with students. Additional, features such as the interactive whiteboard can be used to solve problems together and to facilitate lessons. For a more detailed explanation check out our How We Work page.
The general technology specifications required by WebWise Tutors are these:
- A computer with a minimum of 1Ghz processer and 512 MB of RAM
- PC users require Windows Vista or Windows 7 (or newer) operating systems
- Mac users require Mac OSX 10.6.8 or newer with X11 installed
- High speed internet or DSL service
- A current version of Microsoft Internet Explorer, FireFox, or Chrome
- A microphone and headset that can be purchased at any technology store for under $30 dollars. For computers without a built-in camera, an external camera from any technology store can be purchased for under $30 dollars
You’ve come to the right place. Before you begin, you’ll be given an online tutorial that will walk you step-by-step through everything you need to know to get started. We’ve certified our technology tutorial with our own personal “grandmother test.” We’ll make it easy. We promise.
We all know there are a lot of distractions that keep a child from learning. Teaching via video allows our tutors to keep our students focused. More importantly, we believe good teaching is about understanding when a student is struggling. This takes nuance, and the ability to read a child. It also makes our tutoring personal. As far as we’re concerned, it’s a deal breaker not to offer video technology with any tutoring service.
We understand there are times when you need help right away. The clock is running out and you need help. For most subjects, we’re here 24-7 to help you with those times. However, we believe to create lasting results and long term success for your child, a more systematic approach is needed. Helping a student through a challenging assignment is important, but our ultimate aim is to create lifelong learners who are confident enough to stand on their own two feet. Of course, whatever your needs, we have you covered.
We offer tutoring services for K-12, post-secondary, and international students. Subjects include mathematics, sciences, history, English language arts, and Spanish. We also offer Personal Development Courses for Teachers.
Supplemental Educational Services (SES)
Your can view your child's progress by logging into the Parent’s Resource Center with your unique login and password. It will include a list of assignments completed and results, skills worked on, strengths, homework assignments (if applicable) and comments.
Customer Service Center Hours: We operate 24/7
Tutoring Hours: Tutoring is 24/7 for most subjects and is flexible to meet individual or group needs upon request.
Absolutely. In fact, click here for an extensive list of tutors in the industry. We’ve included their web addresses and phone numbers, as well as questions you should ask before hiring.
Bottom line, we want what’s best for your child. Sure, we’d like you to choose us. We wouldn’t be here if we didn’t think we were the right choice. But, more than that, we want you to feel good about your choice.
As always, we want what’s best for your child.
Glad you asked. If you haven’t seen it yet, click here for our story.